Friday, February 6, 2009

Free Days

Let me just start this post off by saying that what I am about to write is from my own personal experience with losing weight and not from any textbook/book that I've read. On that note, my husband loves ice cream, so from day one of our marriage we always had ice cream in our freezer. I wasn't used to this, my family never kept ice cream or any kind of sweets in the house, so we only got ice cream on special occasions. Well, we started having ice cream every night after dinner...needless to say I gained 15 lbs in the 1st 6 months of our marriage. It was the most I've ever weighed and as soon as I realized what the numbers were I decided something had to change. I started to change the way I ate and started to refuse the ice cream my husband would offer me. I "saved" the sweet treats for my free day. My free day was the one day a week that I could eat what I wanted and not worry about how healthy it was for me. That is to say, I ate whatever I wanted, but I still watched portion sizes. I lost the 15+ lbs in 2 months, through diet and exercise AND my free day.

An aside about having a free day, for 6 days out of the week you are continuously making healthy choices in your diet, and I found over a period of time that, even on my free day, I started to choose the healthier items, not because I HAD to but because that's what I WANTED. You feel better when you eat better and it makes an impression on you and the choices you make! Good luck! =)

2 comments:

DANIELLE said...

I LOVE the idea of a free day because, frankly, I can't ever give up ice cream.

Okay, I have a couple questions I've been thinking about: How many ounces of water are we supposed to drink a day? (the whole 8 cups thing always eluded me -- is that 8 measuring cups? 8 small cups? 8 jumbo cups? Etc.)

Also, have you heard anything or what is your opinion of the miracle Acai Berry?? Supposedly it's supposed to help fight hunger. I feel dubious, so I wanted to know your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

Danielle I think it is jumbo cups. To the point where you are peeing all the time. =) Amber I just wanted to leave a comment so you know that I do read this blog. Also I feel like I have gained some wait the last two months. So I am going to get back on track. My scale broke so I am not sure, but I feel it which is even worse when you dont feel healthy. It is the winter too. I want Spring to come again. Get back outside and run, play. You know...those that dont live in Vegas...thanks for all the info. Love it!!!!!!!!