Monday, October 20, 2008

Of Diet Pills and Food Journals...

Unfortunately there is not a "magic" pill that will make you thin and healthy, if there was everyone would be taking it!!! There are no substitutes for eating healthy and exercising. My take on diet pills/appetite suppressants is if you talk to your doctor about them and he prescribes you one then by all means go for it, but if you just want to shed 10 or 20 pounds, I wouldn't experiment with diet pills. They can seriously mess with your body and not in a good way (remember ephedra?) So to answer your question, there are not any diet pills that I would recommend.

I've found that the thing that works best for people trying to change their eating habits, rather than taking a diet pill, is to keep a food journal. Write down EVERYTHING that passes your lips for a week, then go back andreview it. What you find may surprise you. I've had people, who before I asked them to do this, thought they were eating healthy and then, when we went through their food journal, were taken back by how much food and how many calories they were actually consuming on a daily basis.There are online food journals that can be helpful also. SparkPeople has one that I used to use when I worked at the gym, just click on the link and you can check it out. Just remember when you're keeping a food journal you need to write down EVERYTHING, even if you just eat a couple peanuts or drink a glass of milk, write it down!

No comments: