Friday, August 29, 2008

Eating Well

Today, I'm going to let you all in on a little secret...the secret of how to lose weight. The secret is...(drumroll)... EAT! Counterintuitive, I know, but believe it or not if you want to lose weight you HAVE to eat. Skipping meals is not going to help you, it's just going to hurt you. For example, if you skip breakfast (the most commonly skipped meal, but also the most important!) by the time lunch rolls around you're  going to be so hungry you'll over indulge. The key is to eat 6 SMALL meals a day instead of 3 BIG meals. Constantly fueling your body with healthy foods is going to rev up your metabolism. The key to this is portion control, portion control, portion control. TIP: Dinner plates now a days are HUGE, so if you eat off of your salad plates instead, you'll be less likely to overeat.
 
So, now to Jen's question,what should we eat?  I could go on and on and on about this one, but I'll try to do this Reader's Digest style! For breakfast opt for the egg or a bowl of high fiber cereal with skim milk instead of the bagel with cream cheese. The egg is high in protein and low in calories (1 egg = 70 calories 6 grams of protein), while the cereal is high in fiber which will keep you full longer (Raisin Bran or All Bran are good ones.) Like I mentioned before just be careful when it comes to portions. A serving of Raisin Bran is 1 cup, if you have to break out the measuring cup, go for it! It's really easy to eat more than one serving when it comes to cereal. Snacks should be 120 calories or less if you're trying to lose weight. If you aren't in the habit already, try to get in the habit of checking the nutrition facts of what you eat. Fruits and vegetables are excellent choices for snacks as well as yogurt (Yoplait lights are yummy and only 100 calories!), and string cheese (70-80 calories, Weight Watchers Brand has only 50 calories) Okay, hopefully you're not on information overload. Before I go into too much detail, I'd like to get your input so I take this in the right direction. Like I said before I could go on and on with this one, it's a rather broad topic, so any questions or concerns you guys have about what to eat will help guide me so I can give you the information you want. With that being said, I'll save the rest for another post! Feel free to add any suggestions or tips you have about what meals and snacks work for you!

9 comments:

Aaron and Jen Budge said...

Wow I'm in trouble... See I'm a meat, potatoes, and starch type person. I do however really like the plate idea. That's a good one. I figure if I just watch my portions and start exercising something will happen. It's just starting the whole process. Like going to the park to walk/jog. I wish I was a runner but I'm not.

Summer, Matt and Beck said...

Not that I am an expert on healthy eating (I am addicted to sugar and baked goods) but one thing that has really helped me is to have a plan as far as meals go. At the beginning of the week I make a menu of the meals that I am going to cook for the week, and plan on eating the leftovers for lunch. That way I can make sure that each meal is well rounded and it is also easier on the budget because I am only buying what I will eat. It also helps me avoid those "Oh No, I don't have anything planned for dinner, so we will just have taquitos again" moments that happen all too frequently.

Amber and David said...

Jen, you are so not in trouble, any food can be part of a healthy diet, even meat and potatoes! Everything in moderation. And don't worry about not being a runner, a recent study I just read found that women who walked rather than jogged (although both moved at a 12-minute-mile pace) burned 4 percent more calories than the runners. I'll walk with you if you need someone to walk with!
Summer, I am SO with you on being addicted to sugar and baked goods. I LOVE to bake so that makes things worse! lol! Planning your meals for the week is an excellent way to plan healthy meals and stick to your budget. Shopping from a pre-made list also helps you avoid throwing those extras that you don't need into your shopping cart! (ie, cookies=)

Valerie said...

Amber, I love that you are doing this blog what a great idea!
I have a question for you. I keep reading conflicting info on how many calories you need to eat while nursing and still be able to lose weight! I was on baby fit.com but they recomened that I eat between 2600 and 2800 calories!!! That is a lot. One website says just eat at least 1800. That is a major difference. I don't want to affect my milk supply but I really need to lose weight!!! Do you know about that at all?
Thanks!

Aaron and Jen Budge said...

That is good to know about the walking thing. What other exercises do you recommend for loosing weight and toning up that can be done at home?

D'On Marx said...

Okay, so I had to see a nutritionist last year sometime because my cholesterol was getting kinda up there. What she told be is basically following the food pyramid is what we're suppose to be doing. My problems are skipping breakfast (I've been working on that a lot lately), and I have no discipline. I know what I need to do (well, sometimes) I just don't make myself do it.

D'On Marx said...

Oh, I just remembered a question...do you know how to train yourself into running. I hate running, but would like to try and don't know how to start. I know that you're suppose to walk for some and then try boosting the speed and keep alternating it. Do you know about that?

Summer, Matt and Beck said...

I started measuring my frosted mini wheats this week and made the switch back from 2% milk to skim. I still feel full after breakfast and haven't missed the extra cereal. Who wants to get fat off of frosted mini wheats anyway?

Amber and David said...

Thank you all so much for your input! I love your questions and hearing about the steps you're taking toward being a healthier you! (Who wants to get fat off of frosted mini wheats anyway?=) I love it! I'll get to all your questions, but I'll answer them one at a time so I can answer them more completely. Thanks again for your input and enthusiasm!