
So, for you nursing mommas out there (me being one of them, so I've taken special interest in this topic!), there is a lot of conflicting information on how many calories nursing "burns" and how many calories you need to eat. Valerie you were right on, the answer is NOT 2600-2800, that is WAY too many calories (unless you are a VERY active person, and most of us, the Domestic Goddesses that we are, do not fall into that category!=). Taking in 2600-2800 calories will definitely get you to keep (if not add to) the baby weight! The fact of the matter is, your body uses 600-800 calories a day to produce milk (depending on how often your baby nurses). When you factor that in to your pre-pregnancy caloric intake, shave a couple hundred calories off for weight loss, your intake should be around 1800 calories a day. Don't worry about affecting your milk supply though. Studies have been done on nursing mothers in countries where the mothers do not get enough food and they still produce quality milk for their infants. Our bodies are amazing in that if we don't get the nutrients and vitamins our babies need from our food, our bodies take from our stores to make sure the baby gets the best nourishment your body can provide. Don't take that the wrong way, I'm not saying it's okay to starve yourself! That's definitely NOT a good idea, I'm just saying don't be overly concerned about losing your milk supply if you're just cutting a couple hundred calories from your diet; as long as your diet is well balanced, you and your baby will be fine! Excellent question!
3 comments:
I love this blog! Thanks for some of the inside scoops!
I can't imagine trying to eat 2800 calories! Yikes! I have found that if I am concerned about the content of my milk, it puts my mind at ease to pump a couple of ounces and then stick it in the fridge. It will separate within a couple of hours and its kinda nice to see that fatty cream at the top. Makes me feel like I'm givin' the kid what he needs!
thanks for the info. I always wonder about how many calories I should be eating. Jackson is coming up on his first birthday and I am getting nervous about breaking him off breast feeding. he is very attached to my breasts, it is his comfort item I think. I feel kind of sad too, I really loved breastfeeding. wish me luck.
Post a Comment